A man will die, but not his ideas.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Love the GUI, hate the GUI

I've always been fascinated by Java's look and feels. And I think the developers of both AWT and Swing did a wonderful job in making the GUI of Java applications look simple but highly attractive. I've been working on a small intelligent mobile agent application lately. And while attempting to create a GUI for the agent, I faced many difficulities in laying out the components on the form.

I guess what made things really difficult is that I was trying to lay the components on the form from A to Z by coding. It is really a frustrating task but I had no other choice since my 450 MHz Pentium III won't be able to handle any of the available IDEs that have a GUI editor. But I think this would give me a tighter grasp on building GUIs in Java.


One really annoying issue is having some component appear behind others (see image). Hopefully I'd be able to solve this soon. Because I know more difficulities will arise when I start developing the agent itself.

Posted by A :: 3:24 AM :: 2 Comments:

Post / Read Comments

-------------------------------------


Creative Commons License
Unless otherwise expressly stated, all original material of whatever nature created by the blog's author and included in the "A man will die, but not his ideas." weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

* Java and the Java Coffee Cup Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems,Inc. in the U.S. and other countries.