A man will die, but not his ideas.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

A Frustrating Weekend - Part 2

OK, where was I?! Yes, I was sitting with frustration in front of a PC that continuously reboots...

So, now the assigned task that I re-installed Windows XP for was complete. But Ubuntu, which I use for working on my thesis, doesn't want to boot. I do have backups for my work, but I would like to gain back my system as it was. Ignoring this for a moment in order to not waste time, I decided I'll stick with Windows for a while for my work and ask around for a solution to my problem. Unfortunately, I did not get any successful answer even after posting the issue in the Ubuntu Forums. Everyone just keeps telling me to do things I already did (and mentioned in my previous post in the blog). And they keep insisting that I should install Windows first then Ubuntu. This is very impractical since, as we all know, Windows keeps crashing and continuously needs re-installation.

I found a very useful tool called Ext2 Installable File System (Ext2 IFS) for Windows which provides full access to Linux Ext2 volumes (read access and write access) from within Windows. So, I copied my Eclipse workspace and since I already had a copy of Eclipse present on my HDD from the previous Windows installation I only had to install the Java 2 SDK. Usually that wouldn't be a problem. However, since this was a very frustrating weekend, I was unable to find a copy of the 1.5 SDK in my CD collection! Imagine, me the Java fan not having a version of the SDK!!! I guess I must have erased the copy I had lying around on my HDD due to lack of storage space and forgot that I didn't put it on a CD. What made things worse is that, since the Internet connection was not working properly, it took a long time to download it and I wasted the day.

Well, I don't remember if that was the end of my problems during that weekend or not. But to make a long story short, I decided I should download Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) and install it after backing up my data and configurations on my USB HDD, which a dear friend of mine has brought me as a gift. And in order not to make the same mistake twice, this time I'll make a separate partition for "/home" in case something like this ever happens again. I just hope that installing Edgy would solve the problem.

In the mean time, during my search to resolve the problem, I landed on the following very useful guide titled "How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!" by Simon Gray which I think might be very useful for new comers. By the way, later, I might consider moving to a KDE environment and switch to Kubuntu or Fedora Core just to make sure I'm not limiting myself to a single environment. But I guess that will happen when I find some time.

Posted by A :: 3:42 PM :: 0 Comments:

Post / Read Comments

-------------------------------------


Creative Commons License
Unless otherwise expressly stated, all original material of whatever nature created by the blog's author and included in the "A man will die, but not his ideas." weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

* Java and the Java Coffee Cup Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems,Inc. in the U.S. and other countries.